Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Do: A Better Playdate

Every woman with children knows the pain of finding the perfect play date. It's often the case that the kids get along, but the nannies or mothers don't. Or, just the opposite. Don't you remember having to play with children you couldn't stand, but had to play with because your moms were friends?

Well, those days are mercifully over! A new service, e-Playdate, has revolutionized my life and will yours, too. For someone like me, who everyone wants to either be or be friends with this service is invaluable. The idea was brought to fruition by Samantha Plummer and Juliette Knopes who were fed up with play dates from hell. Here they are to explain their awesome contribution to mom life:

Samantha and Juliette:
Samantha - The idea came to me one day, when Anjou, my 9 year old, said to me (after I'd spent hours arranging logistics) that she just hated her play date because the other child (who shall go unnamed) had her hair in her face the whole time, even though she was wearing a headband. It was distracting and aggravating to my daughter, whose personal aesthetic is very refined. What a drag! I thought. Wouldn't it be great if I could find friends that she loved looking at while she played? Voila!

Juliette - My epiphany was a bit different. It's all about me. I love accompanying my kids on their play dates. It's an opportunity for both them and me to build life-long friendships. But, that only works if I like the other moms, and recently that hasn't happened. Take the last non e-play date play date that I went on: The kids got along fine, but the other mother and I barely tolerated each other. She droned on and on about something she was reading. Of course, we set a good example, and were unfailingly polite, but I'm sure she felt just like I did and was thinking "Oh My God, I'm frittering away my life talking to this idiot!" I mean, her shoes were scuffed in places, up near the toes especially. I told S about it and she shared Anjou's experience and we were off to the e-playdate races.

Samantha - It works pretty much like a dating service. You sign up and create three profiles: yours, your nanny (ies) and one for each child that you want to arrange playdates for. The profile is broken up into some basic areas of interest: fashion, skin care, residential square footage, types of exercise and sports, vacation preferences, ashram preferences, charitable causes, allergies, working experience, if any. Of course, the standard demographics like race, ethnicity and household income and weath are there, too. Geography is available if transportation is relevant (no airplane, for example, or horses).

Juliette - The results are amazing because of the granularlity of your selection options. You can specify whether you or your nanny is going to be the primary play date adult and whether you will go on play dates where the other mother isn't present but the nanny is. In a situation like that, it's really nice to know if the nanny speaks English or has a doctorate (of course, from another country, so it doesn't really count, but it's nice to know.)

You can sign up for e-Play date at http://www.myeplaydate.com/.

A GOOP Spoof

No comments:

Post a Comment